QSYS at a glance
- Several different question types are supported with various configuration possibilities.
- The Editor comes with a WYSIWYG-Editor for all question types.
- Questions can be displayed in a paging (one page per question) or in a scrolling (multiple questions on one page) mode.
- When applying the scrolling mode, page separators support the question's categorization as logical units.
- Mandatory questions. The user gets a feedback, when the question is not answered sufficiently.
- PDF export enables an offline version of the questionnaire (e.g. for mixed mode studies).
- XML export serves as an exchange and archiving possibility (nswers of respondents can be exported as XML too).
- Paradata tracking: Export of time needed for filling out one question together with browser and operating system information, export of the IP address for each participant can be enabled (storage can be turned off to assure privacy).
- Language independence is secured, as language tokens are stored externally. As a result, a simple translation of these tokens adapts the software to a further language.
- An optional summary of all answers for the respondents can be offered at the end.
- Questionnaire's completion can be limited to a certain spell.
- Entire software is published under an Open Source License allowing extension and customization to distinct needs.
- A common servlet engine is sufficient to install QSYS on a server. Not even a database is needed.
- A Status (DEVELOPMENT, PRETEST, OPERATIONAL, DISABLED) can support the user to distinguish between different phases of the survey stored together with the given anwsers.
Supported question types
- Closedended question.
- Dichotomous question: similar to closedended question, the responent can select one of two alternatives.
- Pictogram question: similar to closedended question, with pictures instead of alternatives.
- Closedended ranking question: bringing alternatives in the right order.
- Question matrix: multiple questions with the same alternatives to select.
- Question matrix with column grouping integrating multiple matrices with the same subquestions in one view
- Semantic differential or VAS: Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) constitutes a measurement instrument measuring a characteristic or attitude believed to range across a continuum of values.
VAS is verbally anchored on each end, e.g. very good vs. very bad
(support for a couple of subquestions and the anchor points can be set for each subquestion individually.
- Interval question matrix: just like a semantic differential, labelling of anchor points is the same for all subquestions.
- Interval question: similar to interval question matrix, but without subquestions (rating the question itself)
- Openended question.
- Openended ranking question: presenting multiple openended input fields for one question to the user.
- Openended question matrix: presenting an openended input field for each subquestion of the matrix to the user.
- Image map question: respondents can select a certain region of an image map (e.g. a geographical map).
- Text blocks and page separators: adding HTML code to the questionnaire.
All question texts, page separators and alternative texts can be formatted with an easy to use WYSIWYG-online-editor. Various configurations are possible for each question type.
[18/10/08] QSYS is currently prepared for single-sign on capabilities in cooperation with the University of Applied Sciences Vorarlberg
demo account created!
[22/05/08] Documentation has been updated!
[05/03/08] QSYS is presented at the GOR (GENERAL ONLINE RESEARCH '08)-conference in March 11 at the University of Hamburg.
For detailled information, download the poster
[05/03/08] QSYS 0.8 beta is released! Sourcode as well as binaries can be downloaded at